Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Dark Knight Rises Teaser Trailer


The Dark Knight Rises teaser trailer was finally shown before Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 this past week. Just like the teaser trailers for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, not a whole lot was shown in this trailer. It begins with a voice over from Ra's Al Ghul, talking about Mr. Wayne can become a "legend". Then the trailer cuts to Commissioner Gordon laying on a hospital bed speaking to Bruce/Batman. The gist of his speech to Bruce is that the "evil is rising" and that "Batman HAS to come back". After this we are shown footage from TDK of Batman on the bat cycle going up a ramp, and also  quick shots of Bane's face. The very last shot is EXTREMELY eery, with Batman standing alone in a room, then turns around and none other than Bane enters.


I've been a devoted Batman fan my entire life, having been raised on Batman: The Animated Series. While the Burton/Schumacher films hold a special place in my heart, they can NOT compare to Nolan's take on the character. He was able to bring a level of realism to a comic book "superhero" that no one else has been able to do. Theoretically, Batman Begins/The Dark Knight/The Dark Knight Rises could all take place in real life. Because of this, Nolan has brought so many people into the fandom who are able to appreciate the badassness that Batman entails. While I am sad to see Nolan leaving the franchise after this film, I am happy that he is making TDKR as a bookend to a trilogy. I would much rather have a complete story then a completely open and vague ending.

Over the past few months I have built up some expectations for the upcoming film. First and foremost, I know that Bane is going to RUIN Batman in hand to hand combat. I, along with everyone else on the internet it seems, believe that they are going to go the route of Knightfall and have Bane break Batman's back, leaving him unable to fight crime for a period of time. I really hope though that they do not spend a lengthy time having Batman watching from the sidelines, but instead show a brief montage or so of Bruce recovering and developing new technology and weaponry to take on the threat that is Bane.

Another aspect of the film I am curious about is how they are going to incorporate in Selina Kyle/Catwoman. I'm sure they are going to have her as an antihero as she is so often portrayed. A part of me wonders if she is going to "take the place" of Batman if and when he is injured by Bane. This could make sense, and I would much rather have this than a version of Azrael.

After making two amazing films, I have much confidence in Nolan to make an incredible film to finish his trilogy. Summer 2012 is going to be an awesome summer for comic book fans, with The Dark Knight Rises, The Man of Steel, The Avengers, and The Amazing Spider-Man. I have little doubt that The Dark Knight Rises will be able to hold it's own at the box office.

No comments:

Post a Comment